Associate Professor of Public Policy and Political Science
Phone: (510) 643-5847
Goldman School of Public Policy, University of California at Berkeley
2607 Hearst Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94720-7320
The Litigation State: Public Regulation and Private Lawsuits in the U.S. (Princeton, 2010).
Some Articles and Chapters
"The Politics of Opinion Assignment and Authorship on the U.S. Court of Appeals: Evidence from Sexual Harassment Cases" (with Jonathan Kastellec and Greg Wawro). Forthcoming, 2014. Journal of Legal Studies.
"Legislating Incentives for Attorney Representation in Civil Rights Litigation" (with Douglas Spencer). Forthcoming, 2014. Journal of Law and Courts.
"Litigation and Reform." Forthcoming, 2014. In The Politics of Major Policy Reform in Postwar America, eds. Jeffrey Jenkins and Sidney Milkis. Cambridge University Press.
"Litigation Reform: An Institutional Approach." 2014. University of Pennsylvania Law Review 162 (with Stephen Burbank).
" Private Enforcement." 2013. Lewis & Clark Law Review 17: 637-722 (with Stephen Burbank and Herbert Kritzer).
" Legislative-Executive Conflict and Private Statutory Litigation in the U.S.: Evidence from Labor, Civil Rights, and Environmental Law," Law & Social Inquiry 37 (2011): 657-685.
- "The Political Development of Job Discrimination Litigation, 1963-1976," Studies in American Political Development 23 (2009): 23-60.
- "Congressional Mobilization of Private Litigants: Evidence from the Civil Rights Act of 1991," Journal of Empirical Legal Studies 6 (2009): 1-34.
- "Public Regulation and Private Lawsuits in The American Separation of Powers System," American Journal of Political Science 52 (2008): 821-39.
- "The Southern Imposition: Congress and Labor in the New Deal and Fair Deal," Studies in American Political Development 19 (2005): 1-30 (with Ira Katznelson).
- "Institutional Dynamics on the U.S. Court of Appeals: Minority Representation Under Panel Decision-Making," Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization 20 (2004): 299-330 (with Gregory Wawro).
SOME ONGOING PROJECTS
- Litigation, Public Policy, and Democracy: How Congress Legislates for Litigation (book project)
- "Divided Government and the Fragmentation of American Law" (with Miranda Yaver).
- "Federal Court Rulemaking: An Institutional Approach" (with Stephen Burbank).
- "Private Lawsuits, General Deterrence, and State Capacity: Evidence from Job Discrimination Litigation."
- "Indirect Influences of Gender on the U.S. Court of Appeals: Evidence from Sexual Harassment Law" (with Greg Wawro).